Saturday, January 14, 2012

Have We Changed? Who Are You Now?

People always ask if I want to go back to South Africa, and all I respond with is "Just to visit." And honestly, who can blame me? I have a great life here. I have opportunities, great friends, an amazing education... I love living here and although I miss South Africa dearly, I'm scared to go back... Even just for a visit.

Now I don't mean scared of the crime. I haven't spoken to any of my friends in a very long time. I've never been good with keeping in touch. I can't help but think that if I went back for a visit it would be weird. Would any of them even remember me? Of course my old "best friends" would but how do I know it won't be weird. I haven't spoken to some of these people in over 2 years, and if I have, it was always a quick catchup consisting of "How are you's and I miss you's." I have changed immensely since I lived there 4 years ago and visited 3 and they have too!

I can't know for sure what it will be like and I guess it's OK to be scared. I'll just have to trust that things can go somewhat back to normal, even if it's the hardest thing to do...

No comments:

Post a Comment